Thursday, May 01, 2008

One of those days...

Today is one of those days. I kind of dread it every year, yet look forward to it in some ways. Four years ago today my dad passed away suddenly. I dread it because I worry about my mom and how she is handling the day. I worry that I can't be there on days like this. But I also take days like today to remember how awesome my dad is/was.....I never know quite how to put that! Of course I think about him every single day, but a little extra on days like this. My youngest was home with strep (again) today. He was being my helper, as usual, and I reminded him what today was. He said that he remembered exactly when it happened. Keep in mind he was four at the time, and just barely a year old when we moved away from where my parents live. He remembers what he was watching on t.v., where he was sitting, how the rest of us were reacting (we were a wreck!) and so on. He said "mom, I can take pictures with my brain you know!" He is such a cutie. He really got us through that rough time and was our comic relief. He was too young to really realize exactly what was going on, but he'll never realize how much he helped us. My sister, brothers and their families all live close to my mom, so I assume they all got together tonight. They usually go up to the cemetery and the grandkids all release balloons. They love doing that! We sure miss our family at times like this!

2 comments:

Dana Anderson said...

A sweet and touching remembrance of your father.
Thanks for sharing, I feel the same about my dad and mom.
dana

cherrystones said...

I know this picture. I know what it means to you all the same. I remember the day I asked you about this picture. I hope the week is giving you fond memories and some laughter...