Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Night

We held our Teacher Appreciation Night at church a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd update those of you who had asked about it previously.

As a reminder, each of the kids, ages 3-18 that wanted to participate invited one of their favorite school teachers to be honored. It turned out better than any of us could have possibly imagined! All that worry for months and it was fine. I'm sure the worry helped to make it fine, but anyway... If we do it again, we'll know a little more about what to do and what not to do. I've kept track! I may need some kind of sedative to go through this again, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it! ;)
Judging by the amount of chairs filled, people standing, and plates and cups used ;) we had around 100 people in attendance.

We were sitting behind Brandon's teacher (he is the only one of my kids that participated) and just as it was beginning, she turned to me and said "I can't believe anyone would do this for us!" She didn't know I had anything to do with planning it. Here I'd been thinking that it was just another thing the teachers had to work into their schedules, and by the end of the evening, I realized how grateful they were that we had put the whole thing together. Most of them stayed around an hour after it was finished and thanked us over and over.

A school board member from our ward and our bishop gave short talks. Afterwards we showed the video that we made of all the kids telling why they picked the teacher they did. It was GREAT! Everyone giggled through the whole thing. The kids were so cute. Definitely a highlight of the evening!

One challenge was getting all of the kids that participated and the teachers that came together for a picture at the end.

Brandon invited a past teacher. He had this particular teacher in Kindergarten and again in 2nd grade. She is just awesome!

When I got home from running errands the day after, there was a message on the phone from a local floral shop saying to look on the front porch. I found this cute arrangement from a sweetie in our ward thanking me for putting things together for the program. SO nice!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

how fun! (and yes, absolutly stressful!) But I bet the kids will remember it for ever and the teachers probably will too! :)

Erica said...

You did such a great job, and it was so fun! I can't believe you even worried about having a good turn out!